There are times when the laptop touchpad can be a little frustrating at best. When typing text, we’d much rather use an external computer mouse to avoid touching it too often and messing up our words as we type them out.
To turn off the touchpad of an Asus laptop and any other laptop in Windows 10, there are different methods you can choose from. These include a shortcut key combination, through the Control Panel, and with the Keyboard Service.
This article will provide you some necessary information about how to turn off the touchpad on Asus laptops Windows 10 so that your hands don’t slip accidentally and accidentally click something without knowing it.
Option 1: Using the Shortcut Key Combination
Many laptops come equipped with a function button that disables and enables their respective touchpads. In Asus laptops, this is typically found in F3 or F9 depending upon which model you have.
To disable or enable this function key: press Fn + F3 or Fn + F9 until the pointer disappears from its resting place at the top left corner of your screen. If you want to turn it back on again, simply repress this key combination.
Option 2: In the Control Panel
You can also choose to turn off the touchpad in your computer’s Control Panel. This will disable the device for good until you decide to enable it again.
- Click on Start and open Control Panel. If not, enter the control panel in the search bar. Or if you do not see a Start button as is common with Windows 10, press Windows + R, and type Control Panel.
- Click on Hardware and Sound.
- Choose ASUS Smart Gesture.
- At top of the page select Mouse Detection – you’ll see “Disable Touchpad When Mouse Is Plugged-in.”
- Finally hit Apply followed by OK and you’re done!
Option 3: Through the Keyboard Service
If you still can’t disable the touchpad, try this third method.
- Press Windows+R to open a run command window and type “services.msc“.
- The Services menu will appear then click “Name” with Touch Keyboard and Handwriting Panel Service selected on top of the list.
- Find Startup type in the Touchpad panel then press Disable.
- Finally, stop service by clicking Stop at Status column.
You may need to restart your laptop before changes are applied though so be sure that everything is plugged in securely when doing this!
The methods above should suffice for you to disable the touchpad on your Asus laptop or other models of computers.
Using any one of these method, you’ll be able to stop your touchpad from accidentally tapping something while typing which could result in unwanted actions when you least expect it.
But do remember that to turn off the touchpad again, you must use the same method that you used to turn it off. For example, if you turned it off through the Keyboard Service, then that’s how you should turn it on again.